I do not enjoy it when my kids nag me. When they want something they tend to morph themselves into something that I can't stand to be around, something troll-ish. They drop their shoulders to a hunch, their bottom lip droops down a bit, their voices become shrill and annoying, their short term memory lapses, and then clinginess and a look of constipation becomes the icing on the cake. Oh, and once the physical transformation is complete, their mouths gape open and a torrent of exasperating requests overcome their targeted audience (me). It's kinda like when a ball of fire rages down from the heavens to consume the earth. Extreme. They are so intense and overwhelming when they get their minds set on something. All that exists at that point in their lives is the object of their affection, how much they want it, and what they've got to do to get it. They're willing to kick and scream and cause a huge scene... they're unashamed and willing to do just about anything to get what they want. Determined. Focused. Relentless. Persistent...
There's a parable in Luke Chapter 18 that tells of a persistent widow. Jesus uses this illustration to show us that we should never give up in prayer. Notice where it says, "He will see that they get justice, and quickly... those who cry out to him day and night". This excerpt is referring to the believers who persist in prayer.
Look at the passage:
1. Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2. He said: "In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men. 3. And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, 'Grant me justice against my adversary.' 4. For some time he refused. But finally said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, 5. yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!'" 6. And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7. And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8. I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"
First, notice in this passage that the topic of persistence in prayer is coupled with a question of faith. Will the Son of Man find people of faith left on the earth when He returns? I believe persistent prayer, coupled with faith, moves the hand of God.
Most of us consider ourselves as persistent prayers. In fact, some might even become offended at the question of whether they are persistent or not! And with the majority, you might be inclined to answer that question a bit too quickly as well.When deeming oneself as a persistent prayer; however, dare I suggest the word consistent might better apply? There is a difference between consistent and persistent prayer!
So, how is praying consistently different from praying persistently? You should most definitely 'consistently persist' in prayer, but it isn't enough to be consistent alone. Although, there is something to be said for being consistent, because it means you're habitual, constant, fixed, uniform and regular when you actually decide on what you're going to do. You can habitually, consistently pray only once a week or during Sunday church or even once a day for 10 minutes. Is that the same as being persistent in prayer? I think not. To persist is to press-on in spite of opposition, obstacles, discouragement, and time constraints. Oh, and might I add to press-on unrelentingly, continuing in the face of adversity or set-back... to persist!
So often we get into the habit (become consistent) of prayer without expectation and we gradually lose emotion for what we're asking for. We keep on praying, but we lose heart. We aren't desperate at all for God to do something in our lives, as the widow was of the judge. We might have been at first, but that desperation turns to discouragement and despair after a while. Why do you think the Bible would use the word persist if we weren't going to have to (at times) persist? Admit it, if you were desperate for something, you'd do anything! I know I've been desperate before and in those rare occasions; I've not rested until I've seen it through to the resolution!
To those who are persistently praying, they are convinced they're reaching the heart of God and are certain He will answer if they only persevere. Like my kids, they ask and ask and ask... they know that I am hearing them and they hold on to the hope that I will move on their behalf. They press in. How often have you prayed, cried out to God, and exhausted all of your energy until you're laid out on the floor before Him? How many times have you prayed until you've seen God move? I'll tell you something, if you're praying at the alter for a miracle and you're not seeing it happen... keep on praying! Daniel prayed for three weeks before the angel of the Lord appeared to him! Daniel persisted! God moved.
Be encouraged in this, He hears y our cries. He is looking for those who will persist. He is pleased with those who cry out in faith and believe in Him for what they're persisting for. Persistence with faith... Persistence with faith... Show some determination, grab hold of the horns of the alter and don't let go until you hear from God. Take hold of what you ask for! He only knows how to give good gifts to His children. He pleases to perform miracles in our lives. It is His pleasure to heal! It is His desire to prosper you! No doubt.
Be like the persistent widow, or like a child, go to the Father with your requests! Be consistent and steadfast in your pleas. He hears you and His heart is moved by you when you persist through adversity. Keep on praying, even when you're tired and can't seem to muster the energy to make out another word. He will prove faithful. He can't help but to be anything else...
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Again with the truth!
ReplyDeleteHIS TRUTH IS MARCHING ON - IT WILL ENDURE FOREVER! HALLELUJAH!
So cool, Amy. I just wrote a bit of the same thing in my blog. God is keeping us connected. So awesome!