What would Jesus do? I know, cliche, right? But, really. I look around sometimes and really ask myself, "What would Jesus do?" Like a young child with an insatiable thirst for knowledge, this one question causes a myriad of questions to flood my mind consuming my thoughts. "What would He do if He were right here right now? Who would He be talking to? What would He be talking about?" etc... You want to know what I think? You're reading this post so I'm left to assume that you do. I think sometimes He is looking at us and is heartbroken over the way we behave. Okay, I don't think sometimes, I think often we break His heart. And the reasons aren't because we are terrible sinners committing dastardly deeds, but because of our lack of concern for others. I believe Jesus Christ Himself is standing beside us. The Word says He is at our right side, never leaving us. His desire, with all His heart, is for us to reach out to others, to connect with one another.
Listen, I was standing in a looooong line tonight at camp. I was waiting for what seemed like an eternity for nothing more than a lousy drink of water from the concessions stand. A bit extreme and dramatic, perhaps, but if you had been me I'm confident you would have been feeling a tad extreme as well. Envy me, don't you? Well, ridiculously, during my one hour wait for a simple drink of water in the sweltering 100 degree heat, I just stood there looking all around me at the hundreds of self proclaimed Christians interacting with one another, or should I say not. I chose my words carefully when I said "self-proclaimed", the term was used purposefully. I'm sure you picked up on the tone when I typed it.
Here's the thing, what is a Christian? What does it mean to be a Christian? I'll tell you what 'ol Webster says a Christian is: 1. of, pertaining to, or derived from Jesus Christ or His teachings, 2. of, pertaining to, believing in, or belonging to the religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ, 3. decent, respectable, 4. human, not brutal, humaine... You get the picture.
Now, I'll tell you what I believe the definition of Christain is. Simply put, to be like Christ.
I know, I'm asing a lot of questions. Unfortunately, this is how my mind works! Thoughts take root and bloom in my head. And, much like a dandelion, my blooming thoughts quickly turn into a glorious globe of wispy white seeds scattering with the wind and producing many more thoughts! I've learned to embace it.
Where was I? Oh right, Jesus and how He might feel. Okay, here's the thing. I am surrounded by kids this week. I am at camp. I love camp! I was filled with the Holy Ghost at camp when I was a kid. There's something about the atmosphere and expectancy that comes along with being at camp, it seems you're completely submerged in the power of God from the moment you step out of your vehicle. I just love it. Well, let me not rabbit trail again... as I was waiting in line tonight I really got to thinking to myself. And as I was thinking, I was looking around at the leaders and the kids. More specifically, I was especially interested in what our "rec crew" was doing with their free time. Let me describe to you what a "rec crew" is: a group of teenagers, with a few early 20s sprinkled in, thoughtfully put together with the sole purpose of leading our kids while they're at camp. In other words, leaders. I personally know several of the "rec crew" members. We have a ministry team that goes to various places doing VBSs, kid's crusades, special events, etc. Our team is composed of adults, teens and kids. The adults are close friends of ours. The kids are my own. The teens we've acquired here and there, by God's design. I will admit, I am severely disappointed in our teenagers. I watched tonight as they socialized with one another. They grouped together, as they typically do, and only hung out with each other. They didn't interact with any of the kids, adults, or other teenagers. I noticed they have effectively formed a tightly knit clique of elite position. So, here I am watching their behaviors. I'm a people watcher by nature, I can't help it. And, I'm an analyzer by nature as well, a thinker. You might be saying to yourself, "Amy, get a grip. They're teenagers! That's what teenagers do! They hang out, form cliques..." yeah, that's all true. But, these particular teens were put together to become a team purposed to lead. Too hard on them, I don't think so. Here's why.
What would Jesus have done tonight? What did He do when He walked the earth? Did He keep to the adults, the ones considered righteous? Did He hang out with only those who were like-minded? Did He only seek out those who were, what He might have considered to be, equals? The answers to these questions drive me to frustration with people today! I know what my Jesus would have done tonight. It is recorded that the disciples were much like our "rec crew". They cliqued up a bit as well. In fact, they were frustrated when children, God forbid, tried to spend time with Jesus. Not only were the disciples, the clique called followers of Christ, met with reproach for their attitudes, but Jesus welcomed and blessed the children. He even went so far as to tell the disciples that they should be just like them. Jesus sought out the needy, the poor, the sick, the young. He was delighted to be with them, ministering to each specific need. Jesus didn't just "roll" with His groupies, He reached out to all who were fortunate enough to cross His path.
Man! What is going on here? Knowing what we know of Jesus Himself, what does it mean to be a Christian? Really, what does that stupid cliche mean, "What would Jesus do?" I'll tell you what I think it means, get off your butt and reach out to those around you. Get outside of your own needs and desires and think about someone else for a change. Serve! Love! Be passionate about what Christ is passionate about! Which Christ-like traits are you exhibiting when you keep to your own and shun the young and needy? Self-righteousness is rampant. Egotistic fixations are out of control. Self. Self. Self. Christ was about anything but Himself. You might need to brace yourself for this one, but I might even go so far as to say that there are many believers but there are very few true Christians. Think about that for a moment. Ponder it. Let it marinate a bit.
What does it mean to be a Christian? What would Jesus do? If you consistently do the opposite, or you consistently serve yourself and your own desires, are you then considered to be a Christian? Or just a believer? What is the difference between a Christian and a believer?
Believer: You know what Christ has done for you. You accept Him. You even truly love Him. You are a faithful church attendee, maybe. Sure, you probably pray. You serve in your church on Sunday, or during church events. But, does your life reflect true Christ-likeness? Who do you talk to about Christ on a daily basis? Who do you affect, or infect, to the glory of God. When you're in public, does the question 'I wonder how many people around me know Christ' ever cross your mind? Think about all that Christ was and is. His heart is to seek and to save that which is lost. He is the ultimate missionary. The evangelist extraordinare! Christ rocked this world! He is passionate about people, compassionate towards people, and desires above all else to reach out to anyone and everyone who might hear and be saved! He didn't just snobbishly stick to His small group. He reached out! This is Jesus Christ.
If we call ourselves Christians, shouldn't we be described much the same way?
Monday, October 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment